[Luneos-dev] Enyo EOL

Alan Stice alan at alanstice.com
Mon Apr 11 22:41:28 UTC 2016

Sorry for the long delay, last week was spring break so it took a bit to
get feedback from my boss (Gray Norton). Enyo 2.x will not be EOL for quite
a while. We'll continue to support critical issues and will review and
merge pulls requests for the forseeable future. I don't know any definitive
time frames on this support, but it will be a long while. Well into next
year.

For Enyo next-gen, a lot is still undecided there. It's actively being
developed, after all. Even we don't have a crystal clear picture of what it
will look like. That being said, we do know that:

   - Enyo next-gen will be a comprehensive application development suite.
   It may utilize libraries and such from other developers, in a similar way
   to how Enyo 2.x uses a library from JEDLsoft as the basis for enyo-ilib.
      - On the flip side of that coin, Enyo next-gen libraries will likely
      be more useful outside the context of an Enyo app.
   - Enyo next-gen will support touchscreen mobile devices and will be
   highly optimized to be as fast as possible on those devices. This is a
   primary deliverable for Enyo next-gen.
   - Enyo next-gen will be a breaking update. This is an unfortunate
   requirement to meet our goals. Enyo 2.x is extraordinarily flexible and, as
   a result, ends up causing performance issues. Enyo next-gen will be a bit
   more on "rails" so the developer has a bit less flexibility, but the
   application should perform significantly better.

I'm personally pretty excited about Enyo next-gen. One of the things that I
do at LG is optimize Enyo applications for performance (e.g. making sure
the app loads in <1s from user launch, smooth view transistions, etc). We
dogfood Enyo here, and we're (painfully, sometimes) aware of its
performance problems. Enyo 2.7 has done a lot to help with the issues, but
we're hoping to take Enyo next-gen to another level. Animation (consistent
60fps), low input latency, fast view creation/transitions, etc.

That being said, there are going to be some definite issues for LuneOS. One
big one is that Onyx will not be making the tranisition. There will be a
mobile targetting UI library in Enyo next-gen, but it will not be Onyx.
Gray is open to discussing webOS ports taking over stewardship of Onyx just
like with Mochi, but personally I don't think we should try to maintain two
UI libraries. We should either continue with Onyx and maintain that
ourselves, or we should switch over to Mochi.

I see a couple of options for the long term:

   1. Adopt Enyo next-gen when it is released
      - Port/maintain Onyx or Mochi ourselves OR adopt the new UI library,
      which will likely be more suited for look/feel of iOS/Android than webOS
   2. Adopt another major app framework
      - Again, port/maintain Onyx or Mochi ourselves OR adopt a new UI
      library which would definitely not look/feel like webOS

I'm obviously fairly biased on which of those two options I would
recommend, but then again LG will be paying me to learn and adopt Enyo
next-gen, where I'd be forced to learn a different framework exclusively in
my free time.

I'm happy to take any questions/concerns directly to Gray. Bear in mind,
Enyo next-gen is entirely the product of Gray, the Enyo framework team and
my group (the apps team). We're not being directed to make these changes by
LG. We genuinely think this is the best way to make significant, meaningful
improvements to performance and developer ergonomics.

- Alan